Bananas are natures most underrated fruits. This gorgeous yellow fruit is easy to overlook especially when it seems there’s always some new and exotic type of fruit that is being touted as ‘the next big thing’.
The fact remains that bananas are a tasty superfood that can give our bodies all the good stuff it needs to thrive.
The origins of the banana are quite complex. Archaeologists have focused on the Kuk valley of New Guinea around 8,000 BC as the area where humans first domesticated the banana. Other spontaneous domestication projects may have also occurred throughout the Southeast Asia and the South Pacific.
Banana “trees” are actually the world’s tallest herbaceous plant. They can reach 20 feet in height. “Herbaceous” means there is no woody stem and all the plant matter above the ground dies at the end of a yearly cycle.
There are over 1000 varieties of banana plants in the world. Though Cavendish is the most commonly traded variety on the global market. Bananas are only behind wheat, corn, and rice as the most sold agricultural crop.
In the United States, bananas are the top most consumed fruit and Americans eat more of them every year than apples and oranges combined.
While bananas are the number 1 consumed fruit in the United States, Americans only consume an average of 26.2 lbs a year, whereas the Ugandas consume an average of 500 lbs of bananas each year.
They’re packed full of nutrients, vitamins, fibre and all natural sugars like sucrose and fructose. Thats part of the reason why eating bananas regularly can help to keep the doctor away.
Contains three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose which when combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.
REASONS WHY I LOVE BANANAS
- Energy Booster
– Eating 1-2 bananas will give your body enough fuel to exercise.
– Ideal for eating during the midday low, when you feel tired or sluggish.
– Forget the caffeine concoctions or sugary sweets, bananas provide a level of energy that lasts longer without the dramatic crash caused by caffeine.
– Bananas are rich in potassium, which help the body’s circulatory system deliver oxygen to the brain.
– Aids the body to maintain a regular heart beat and proper balance of water within the body.
– Potassium is essential for blood pressure control and healthy kidney function.
– Helps to reduce the likelihood of stroke and regulating blood pressure because of the way it promotes circulatory help.
– Protect against muscle cramps during and after workouts.
- Healthy Bowels
– High in fiber, bananas help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.
– A fiber called, pectin may help protect against colon cancer.
- Natural Mood Enhancer
– Bananas have an amino acid called tryptophan.Which is necessary for the production of serotonin – contributing to the feelings of relaxation and happiness.
– One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana and date smoothie..
– The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the dates, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the water soothes and re-hydrates your system.
- Stress Reducer
– Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body’s water balance.
– When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.
- SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder
– Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer, tryptophan.
– Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.
- Morning Sickness
– Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
– Forget the pills – eat a banana.
– The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
– According to a recent survey amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana.
– This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
- High in Antioxidants
– They contain several types of potent antioxidants, including dopamine and catechins (SOURCES: 1, 2).
Potassium: 9% of the RDI.
Vitamin B6: 33% of the RDI.
Vitamin C: 11% of the RDI.
Magnesium: 8% of the RDI.
Copper: 10% of the RDI.
Manganese: 14% of the RDI.
Net carbs: 24 grams.
Fiber: 3.1 grams.
Protein: 1.3 grams.
Fat: 0.4 grams.
Bananas are filled with so many nutrients, that they are almost the perfect cure for whatever ails you! Compared to an apple, the potassium-rich banana has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.
bananas MUST be eaten ripe or they will mess with your digestion. And
ripe mean full of brown spots like a leopard and easy to peel.
Eat yo bananas !